Skip the Permit

A program for outdoor fitness trainers in Casey

Skip the Permit is a program which removes the permit process and fee for outdoor fitness trainers who use selected City of Casey Council reserves. Businesses participating can submit an online form and begin fitness training straight away, avoiding the processing time and fees of the permit system. This new program is delivered by City of Casey under the Victorian Government's Automatic Approvals program.


How can I participate?

Read the information on this page and click 'Apply Now' when you are ready to proceed. You will be directed to Service Victoria to complete a short application form. Once this is submitted, you can begin using Council reserves straight away. There is no processing time and no fee.


To apply for Skip the Permit, you'll need the following handy:


Only certain locations are eligible under Skip the Permit, you can select from the following reserves:

Under the ‘Skip the Permit’ program, you can use specific areas in the following parks for outdoor fitness training (free of charge):

Use the sections below to learn more about the program and your business's eligibility to take part or apply now if you have enough information to proceed. If you have questions or would like to speak to Council's Sport and Leisure Team, call (03) 9705 5200 or email




+ Expand all

What is the Skip the Permit?

The Victorian Government has committed to improving small businesses’ dealings with state and local governments. In 2020, the Government and the regulatory system was able to respond quickly to changes in circumstances. Struggling small businesses were provided with support, including fee relief and relaxations in rules that allowed them to keep trading. The Victorian Government is investigating options to extend some of these regulatory changes and make further changes to help small businesses, including automating or removing approvals for some low-risk activities. As part of this ‘automatic approvals’ program, the Victorian Government is partnering with the City of Casey to make it easier to use public parks for outdoor fitness training. Under the ‘Skip the permit’ program, the City of Casey has proactively identified public parks that can be used for outdoor fitness training. All those wishing to use these parks for outdoor fitness training will need to do is fill out a streamlined form from Service Victoria. This program will run for up to 12 months. The results of this will be used to evaluate whether the automatic approvals program should be rolled out more broadly.

I've submitted my application, what next?

That's it! As long as you have obtained any other approvals you might need (see below), you're now able to use the park/s you have indicated you wish to use. Council will contact you if they require more information.

Which areas of the eligible Council reserves are available for outdoor fitness trainers to use under Skip the Permit?

Activity is not permitted to take place on:

  • Playgrounds (public exercise equipment accepted)
  • Picnic and BBQ facilities
  • Garden beds, vegetation and fencing
  • Park furniture and structures
  • Memorials, shrines and public art
  • Environmentally sensitive areas
  • Cemeteries
  • Stairways and public footpaths
  • Areas without suitable lighting when not in daylight hours
  • High profile parks
  • Sporting surfaces

Can I bring sporting equipment for clients to use on Council reserves?

The following items are not permitted under the pilot:

  • amplified music or audio equipment
  • portable gymnasium equipment (e.g. weight benches, weight stacks, stationary bikes, treadmills, steppers, tyres or vehicles)
  • equipment that may damage surfaces or flora

What are the general conditions for businesses taking part in Skip the Permit?

  • You are registered with Fitness Australia or Physical Activity Australia
  • You only conduct:
    • gym sessions (with or without weights, fit balls, skipping ropes etc.)
    • boxing and pad training
    • organised aerobic activity
    • yoga, tai chi and pilates classes and similar activities
    • circuit training or running drills
    • a combination of any of the above.
  • No more than 15 people participate in a group/session, not including the instructor
  • Your activity does not adversely affect the amenity of the area or impact nearby residents

Does my business require insurance to participate in Skip the Permit?

  • You must have public liability insurance with a minimum of $20 million coverage per occurrence
  • You must have professional indemnity insurance.


You must agree to release the Council, its servants and agents in relation to all claims resulting in loss, damage, death or injury, in connection with the Skip the permit program. This means that you are agreeing that Council will not be liable for any loss or damage you suffer as a result of your participation in the Skip the permit program and cannot bring a claim against the Council for any such loss or damage. This is legally binding, and the Council will rely upon this release if you do bring a claim.

You must agree to indemnify the Council, its servants and agents from and against all actions, costs, claims charges, expenses, penalties, demands and damages which may be brought or made or claimed against them in connection with your participation in the Skip the permit program, due to your breach of the terms and conditions of the Skip the permit program or in connection with your negligent acts or omissions. This means that you are agreeing to compensate the Council if a claim is brought against it by a third party, such as a member of the public, if they suffer (or claim to have suffered) loss or damage (including property damage, personal injury, and death) due to your acts or omissions. This will include any legal costs of the Council associated with such a claim or action. This indemnity is binding, and the Council will rely upon this indemnity if a claim is brought against it in connection with your participation in the Skip the permit program.

How are the conditions of the program different to those that currently apply to permits?

Previously, those wishing to use public parks in Casey for outdoor fitness training had to identify the park that they wanted to use, submit detailed information and pay ongoing fees. Under the new system, Casey has proactively identified suitable parks, has streamlined the form in partnership with Service Victoria, and has waived fees for the duration of this program.

Can I use more than one location?

At this stage, you will need to submit an application for each location you wish to use.

Are there any fees?

No. Participation in the Skip the Permit program is free.

After I submit the application, can I change my details or cancel my Skip the Permit?

Yes, please send an email to Council to update your details or cancel your application.

What if I want to operate in a way that is different to the conditions of the Skip the Permit program?

Contact council on (03)9705 5200, you may need to submit a permit application and pay any associated fees. You will need to submit a permit application form.

What if I don't comply with the conditions of the Skip the Permit program?

Council may remove you from the Skip the Permit program and you will need to submit a permit application which may or may not be granted and pay any associated fees. The level of compliance will also be an important factor in Council's decision as to whether to continue.

Why is Service Victoria involved?

The Victorian Government created Service Victoria to modernise the way people get things done online. Service Victoria is bringing together the most popular transactions in one place and making it simpler, easier and faster to do them. The Service Victoria Business Licensing Program is creating a new central portal where small business customers can easily apply in one location for regulatory permits to operate their businesses. As part of this, the City of Casey is partnering with Service Victoria to allow those wishing to use public parks for outdoor fitness training to easily notify Council of their intention to do so.

Who can I contact if I have further questions?